RE: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:04:50 -0400

On July 31, 2006 11:20 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:
> | Bill, I guess Kai had problems because he did not provide a
> | reason for the change. (I fell into the same trap.)
>
> Me too.
>
> The system should not make it hard for "good citizens" to contribute
> modifications.

True. I am open to suggestions about how best to prevent spam
without making it hard for good citizens to contribute.

I thought that requiring an explanation for a change was kind of
minimally invasive since in general we want such explanations
anyway while robot programs spamming the wiki (so far at least)
have not been programmed to provide reasons for their changes.

The missleading thing, I guess, is that you don't get immediate
explanation because the system prompts you for a user id and
password right way and only after you click cancel does it tell
you why. This has the advantage of telling robot programs "too
authorized", but it seems to give the wrong impression to users.
It's a bit awkward to change this considering the way Zope works,
but I think I can fix that with some javascript that tells you
first that you must supply a reason rather than the other way
around.

> For every new session, the system repeatedly asks me to set
> preference before editing.  Is there a way I can do that once
> for all and be done with it?

Your preferences are saved as cookies. If your browser allows
it, they will be retained from one session to the next. If saving
cookies is disabled, then you will have to re-enter preferences
each time.