RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom build failure on an x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom build failure on an x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:48:26 -0400

Gaby,

On July 30, 2006 9:13 PM you wrote:

> I got a new machine (64-bit) for work

> and I've been trying to set up Axiom on it.  It is running SuSE
> 10.1 So far, I've been unsuccessful to build Axiom.  The failure
> is at
>
> [...]
> 1 linking /home/gdr/build/axiom.2006-07-30/build/mnt/linux/lib/viewman
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
> when searching for -lX11
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a
> when searching for -lX11
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: ***
> [/home/gdr/build/axiom.2006-07-30/build/mnt/linux/lib/viewman] Error 1

I have been running Axiom on an  AMD64 Fedora Core 4 system for
about a year.

> The root of the problem is that (I suspect) Axiom has hardcoded the
> path to libX11, e.g. /usr/X11R6/lib.  In fact, on a 64-bit system,
> it is better to let configure find the good path (people have already
> solved this kind of problem, we don't need to go through it again).
> The path should be /usr/X11R6/lib64.

Yes. This was discussed just about this time last year:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-06/msg00449.html

What is the current state of the work towards creating a proper
configure for the Axiom build? Are you actively working on it?
If so, do you need any help with specific parts of the build or
any other issues?