RE: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:46:41 -0400

Gaby,

On Wednesday, July 26, 2006 8:27 PM you wrote:

>   I wanted to add more information to
>
>    http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxActiveAxiomDevelopers
>
> but it asked for a zope identifier and password, which
> I don't have.

Perhaps you did not bother to read the next page after
the prompt which explains that you must provide reason
for the change unless you have administrator access?
This is a recent change intended to reduce the incidence
of spam edits. I agree that it might be a little confusing
to be first confronted by a a log in box before being
given the explanation but this is a result of the rather
quick hack I made to implement the edit check.

To make your changes to the SandBoxActiveAxiomDevelopers
just make sure that you enter some simple explanatory text
in the reason box before you click Save. Let me know if
you still have problems.

I think it might be a lot better if I used a javascript edit
check instead of depending on the awkward server interaction.
I will try that when I next get a chance.

> I do have a account with the "portal" though -- I don't
> know how they realte.  All these identifiers and passwords...

Yes, it is a real pain... mostly forced on us by those
malicious freeloaders who insist on defacing our precious
content. It is still my intention to keep the Axiom Wiki
site as open access as possible, but it is getting harder
and harder to keep it clean.

We have a few select pages (such the FrontPage) that are
protected from one acess since this page is a favourite one
of the spammers but it's consistent content is very important
to us. In order to modify these pages you must have Zope
Management user id. Only three people have that kind of
access to the Axiom web site right now. If you want to be
one of them I am sure we would all be glad to share the
responsibility with you. :)

The Axiom portal site is a different story. It runs Plone
and is intended from the start to be a more controlled access
environment where people can create the own work privately
and then share it with others as and when they wish in a
controlled manner. It does also provide users with their
own private wiki pages that can run Axiom and Reduce programs
in the same way as the public Axiom Wiki. And there are a
few other portal-based services such as the bibliograhies,
news, events and calendar.

I used to think this was pretty neat and some people have
said that they like the "feel" of the web page layout
better than the less structured (and less complex) wiki
environment, but unfortunately it does not really seem to
gotten much use yet.

Before getting access to the Axiom portal, users must
register but this is an easy process that basically just
confirms the validity of the users email address.