[Axiom-developer] Axiom Bibliography, round two

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Bibliography, round two
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:15:13 -0700 (PDT)

I have been able, with the help of awk, bibtool, and a few other
assorted tools to take a single bibtex file and create a book type
structure organized according to the MSC2000 system.

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/Members/starseeker/axiombibliography.pdf/download

I had to parse the html from the AMS website into a reasonable text
file, then use awk to sort and clean up.  Then I used that file,
bibtool, and some key entries in the bibtex entries themselves to split
the big file up into many smaller, topic specific bib files.  Then the
latex package bibtopic comes into play, and awk again turns the msc2000
converted text into latex, pruning at the subsection level so as to not
create a huge document without need.

Hopefully this is an acceptable use of the AMS web content - should we
contact them and check?  I could parse the pdf eventually, but it is
more difficult and raises the same basic issues.  I also intend to add
the PACS system for phyics to this (it seems to cover a couple other
subjects as well - I spotted geochemistry in there) which will be
considerably easier since they already have a nice neat text file (and
xml if needed) on their website.  Not needed yet, of course, which is
the reason for the MSC2000 focus, but eventually it can be added on as
a Part 2.

I know this looks massive, and it is, but I can't think of anything
else that has a realistic chance of coherently organizing all of the
references Axiom can and should refer to as its coverage of the
mathematical world grows.  Given enough literate programs on enough
topics and it is quite conceivable that our bib file could contain many
thousands of entries varying across the entire world of mathematical
subjects.  The merit to this is that it can be automated - the edges
are (very) rough yet since I'm just trying to get something to work,
but clearly it can be done - this would have been a VERY long task by
hand.  Processing a large bib file could take hours (at least at the
moment - it can probably be done more quickly with smarter coding, and
maybe even in lisp by someone who's better at lisp than me) but it does
seem to have some promise.

Oh, annotations and linking seem to be at least partially functional.
There are a couple scattered in there with links, and most have a "put
me somewhere already!" message as an annotation.

Comments?

Cheers,
CY