Re: [Axiom-developer] Advi

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Advi
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:36:19 +0700 (NOVST)

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Richard Harke wrote:
I pulled the CVS version of Axiom. The README file in the top
directory mentions Active DVI as a tool for reading dvi's but I didn't
find anywhere, let alone in zips as stated. I did find the script showdvi
which is just a front end to xdvi. But i find xdvi reaaly awful for more
than a quick review of a file. (The magnifier seems to be the one really
good feature, if you need to check out details of the fonts.)
I found advi at INRIA and downloaded the package. No prepackaged
version for Ubuntu. But it requires installing ocaml which wants a
different version of gcc.
Currently I have been running dvipdf and using kpdf.
Is anyone using advi or are there any other good alternatives?
I also find xdvi rather inconvenient; I think kdvi is much better.
I usually use dvips and view ps by gv (a front end to ghostscript).
If you prefer pdf, I think it's better to use dvipdfm.

Andrey