Re: [Axiom-developer] Live CDs - silly question

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Live CDs - silly question
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:12:11 -0400

Cliff,

As Bill said, the http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenVirtualMachinePackage
page shows how to boot the Live CD image (iso) using VMware. VMware currently
is the most mature of all the virtualization applications.

Regarding your concern about speed, I only find the booting process a
little bit slower (I
think is something between VMware and Fedora, because other distros
boot faster (Arch) ). After that, I cannot feel much of a difference.
I have used a 1.2 Ghz computer (Celeron) with 512MB, so you can see
that it is not very demanding and could be faster in newer machines.

Regards,

Jose Alfredo Perez

On 6/16/06, Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:
Cliff,

On June 16, 2006 10:42 AM you wrote:

> Out of curosity, has anyone ever tried to run a LiveCD using a
> virtual machine?  Bochs I suppose would be too slow, but maybe
> Xen one of the other newer ones?
>
> It would be sort of cool to be able to "boot" a livecd without
> restarting your own computer, although I suppose it makes
> more sense to just create an image in that case.

??? I think it might be worth your while to read and understand

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenVirtualMachinePackage

That is exactly what Alfredo has done using VMware. VMware is not
open source but it is free.

I don't see any reason why one could not do something very similar
with Xen.