[Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-math] Are Fraction and Complex domains.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-math] Are Fraction and Complex domains.
Date: 12 May 2006 01:13:36 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| But of course, I could live with that identification if it is clearly
| documented that ()->Cat can be identified with Cat. Where are our
| category experts? I believe there is a distinction here, n'est pas?

>From Category Theory point of view, a constant x of type T is the same
as the (unique) morphism x : 1 -> T, where 1 is the one-point set.

Now, I also understand that beyond the name, Aldor's catagories are
not mathematical categories; so....

My practice of functional programming suggests that the identification
is useful in many cases, than keeping the artifice.  But YMMV.