Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax

From: Francois Maltey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax
Date: 11 May 2006 22:03:19 +0200

Francois again...

> > I think it's too complex to detect inside emacs if
> > the syntax is an axiom-command-line or an axiom-input-style.
>
> I was afraid of that.
>
> > You may have a global variable axiom-input-mode, someones set to
> > 'axiom-command-line, others to 'axiom-input-syntax.
> >    (setq axiom-input-mode 'axiom-command-line)
> > or (setq axiom-input-mode 'axiom-input-syntax)
> > at the beginning of axiommode.el
>
> That means you have to select all of one style or all of another,
> something I am hoping to avoid.

> I want to be able to use command line syntax for most things but
> create the occasional *.input entry at will.

Perhaps (*)
  glue lines with a _ at the end to the next one.             (inline syntax)
  glue lines with a space at beginning to the prévious one.   (input syntax)
  but cut all the others lines.

It may be interesting to have a very small function which make this cut.
Because having a block per paragraph (without empty-line) has also advantages.

> I'm not sure why (1)-> should be an issue, but I can look into it.

Because when I run axiom (not axiomSYS) I have two prompts (1)-> on my
screen.
The first one isn't a real prompt because axiom display after a second.

> Well, I'm assuming that .input syntax and command-line syntax have
> distinct rules.

My advice changes... see (*)

> What I should be able to do (if I understand mmm-mode)
> is create localized behavior on the axiom input line, and by changing
> modes provide two different sets of behavior.

> I have some other ideas
> about allowing text/latex blocks before IO pairs as well, but that's
> for later.

When I played with mupad and emacs, I tryed to allow the insert of comments
between commands and output. It's a HUGE work and now I reject this idea.
Either I have a read-only buffer for axiom and all, as a typewriter.
Either I have a latex file and I cut/copy/paste blocks from/to axiom-buffer.
But of corse it's my advise, you may have good reasons to do what you want.

Bye.

François