Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:36:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Francois Maltey <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think it's too complex to detect inside emacs if
> the syntax is an axiom-command-line or an axiom-input-style.

I was afraid of that.

> You may have a global variable axiom-input-mode, someones set to
> 'axiom-command-line, others to 'axiom-input-syntax.
>    (setq axiom-input-mode 'axiom-command-line)
> or (setq axiom-input-mode 'axiom-input-syntax)
> at the beginning of axiommode.el

That means you have to select all of one style or all of another,
something I am hoping to avoid.  I want to be able to use command line
syntax for most things but create the occasional *.input entry at will.

> When you use the *.input file method I find three exceptions
> where you CAN'T create a new *.input file to send data to axiom.
>
> After the first (1)-> : think to the bug arround the duplicate (1)->.
> After )quit you must send a string to axiom, not a )read command.
> After )d op axiom wait a yes.
>
> So here is my old function which respond if I must send a file or
> not.

[snip]

OK, thanks - this could be useful.  I'm not sure why (1)-> should be an
issue, but I can look into it.

> There is an other problem :
>
> If you send too quickly 2 lines to axiom, after a [Ctrl-K] [Ctrl-Y]
> as
> 1+2
> 3+4
> axiom itself mismatch the output.

I think the simplest way to handle this would be to prevent any new
evaluations or maybe even insertions while axiom is waiting for output.
 I'll have to test it.

> So axiom-mode might send lines (or blocks) one after the other.
> Then there are two possibilities :
>
> 1-either you send only one line to axiom,
>   and wait the next [return] for the next line

I thought that's what my mode was doing - it's possible it isn't, in
which case that's a bug.

> 2-either you send only one line to axiom,
>   and when the output show that axiom has finish one line
>   the emacs mode sends the next one, and so on
>   but finish when the cursor is inside or before the actual line.

In my mode it should only be possible to send one input at a time.  Why
would you want to send two at once?

> It's perhaps too complex to mix 2 modes.

That's, in a nutshell, what mmm-mode is designed to handle.

> One for axiom-run and second one for faces and colors.
> I never do it.

I'm not sure how to work things as of now, but I'll think about it.

> I admire your use of comint.

Thanks, but credit for that must remain with Jay.

> I found easiest to re-rewrite the input/output between axiom and
> emacs when I done mupad-run and axiom-run.
>
> I don't understand what you want to do with the mmm-mode.

Well, I'm assuming that .input syntax and command-line syntax have
distinct rules.  What I should be able to do (if I understand mmm-mode)
is create localized behavior on the axiom input line, and by changing
modes provide two different sets of behavior.  I have some other ideas
about allowing text/latex blocks before IO pairs as well, but that's
for later.

> Have a good day !

You too!

CY