RE: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:31:40 -0400

On Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:26 AM C Y wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > When interacting with emacs I expect it would normally be
> > most convenient for Axiom users to be able to type the
> > *.input syntax in a emacs command buffer. Emacs would send
> > the contents of the buffer to Axiom by first writing this
> > buffer to a temporary file (say temp1.input) and then asking
> > Axiom to execute it by sending the command:
> >
> >   )read temp1.input
> >
> > instead of sending the contents of the buffer directly to
> > Axiom.
>
> OK...  This should be possible, but it sounds like this is a
> little different from what I'm doing currently.  You don't want
> to support a different syntax on the command line, but type
> *.input syntax in a buffer and load it into a running emacs
> session.

Yes. To do that now with Axiom one might use the commands:

  )edit xxx.input
  )read xxx.input

and alternate between these two commands while you test
some new code. Alternatively you might do:

  )edit xxx.as
  )compile xxx.as

if you are writing a library routine in Aldor (or .spad if
you are writing SPAD cod).

> I think the "right" way to do that would be to introduce a
> separate axiom-input-mode that intelligently handles that
> issue. I'll have to give it some thought, but it's a good
> idea.
>

>From what Francois said in his earlier message, that is what
the 'axiomacs.el' mode does now for Axiom '.input' format.

If you are going to have different input modes, then I
think it makes most sense to associate this with the
type of input, e.g. '.input' format '.as' (Aldor) format,
and '.spad' (SPAD) format. This determines things like
how to do the syntax highlighting. Then when you 'execute'
in each of these modes it tells you what command to generate
in Axiom, e.g. ')read' or ')compile'.

Really, if you support these different modes then there is
really no need (usually) to have direct access to the Axiom
command line. E.g. we never interact directly with the command
line on MathAction.