Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Issue building silver tree

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Issue building silver tree
Date: 08 May 2006 22:18:11 +0200

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

| "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
| > Jay Belanger has identified this problem as due to incorrect
| > "recursive copies" in the Axiom Makefile. See:
| >
| > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-04/msg00161.html
| >
| > although he did not propose a fix.
|
| Has anybody yet?

There are various fixes, with varying "definition" of fix :-)

| I don't know if the double copying is necessary (the relevant copy
| commands were in two different makefiles), but the incorrect
| recursive copies problem could be taken care of by not making the
| copying recursive.  The particular problem that I ran into was copying
| a directory and its subdirectories.

I don't think the copying is ever necessary; it is only there because
of some shortcomings.  You can either

  * use SVK (see the silver branch procedure) in the meantime, and
    wait for the new build machinery to correct those;

  * or proposes patches against the current silver branch and have
    them reviewed.

| The directory was
| .../src/scripts, and the only subdirectory was .../src/scripts/tex.
| So perhaps the lines
|   cp -pr ${SRC}/scripts/* ${MNT}/${SYS}/bin
| could be replaced by something like (after making sure any directories
| are created)
|   cp -p ${SRC}/scripts/* ${MNT}/${SYS}/bin
|   cp -p ${SRC}/scripts/tex/* ${MNT}/${SYS}/bin/tex
| (and I'm not sure the second line is necessary).  Without the -r, the
| hidden directories are ignored.
| Of course, what I'm doing now is showing that I don't know much about
| the build process.

I spent last week (well, just the "free time" part of it) going
through the build process.  I needed to read almost all of the
Makefile.dvi to get a better understanding of the process and I am
sure I only got the tip of the iceberg.  Tim did a tremnedous job; it
was really helpful he put all those details in there.
Still we should not need to read all of the Makefiles before getting a
good, high level idea of what is going on.