RE: [Axiom-developer] A{ld,xi}o{r,m}-Combinat

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] A{ld,xi}o{r,m}-Combinat
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:01:18 -0400

Martin,

On April 29, 2006 3:39 PM you wrote:

> attached you find a screenshot from some code and its output
> that has emerged from the Axiom Workshop 2006. I hope you like
> it. Note that the two lines in the upper frame define TreeClass
> completely as a domain, given the domain Atom and the functors
> CrossClass and UnionClass...

Cool. Of course I am very curious about the latter two functors. :)

> The code is mainly from Ralf Hemmecke in collaboration with
> Nicolas Thiery. I am extremely grateful and amazed what these
> two guys accomplished in such a short time. (Antoine and I
> added some pretty printing for fun...)

I am sure that the entire "team" is very talented but I am
inclined to want to underline the word "collaboration". What
perhaps is most amazing is how powerful Axiom/Aldor is when
one actually learns to use it right. :) And working together as
a small team makes it very productive. I hope we somehow find
it possible to arrange more (and more frequent) such "sprints"
on all sorts of Axiom subjects.

> FREE ALDOR!

Indeed. I was pleased to note today the Bob Sutor, one of the
creators of Axiom, added his name and "good luck" wish to the
FreeAldor page on Axiom Wiki. :)

> The Axiom-Aldor Workshop 2007 is going to happen next year at
> the RISC in Hagenberg, near Linz, Austria. The topic will be
> "Computer Algebra meets ???" where ??? might be one of Graph
> Theory, Algebra or Analysis.

Glad to hear it. Perhaps with this much notice I can make it
there next year. :)

> Date to be fixed. Send abstracts of talks, requirements for
> the date, fields you are interested in to address@hidden :-)

Graph theory sounds nice but my "wish" is really that the topic
could be "Computer Algebra meets category theory" ... in my
opinion the potential for category theory in computer algebra
has not even begun to be tapped and Axiom is in a particularly
good position to take the lead.

> I believe that we can say that in terms of produced code the
> workshop was a tremendous success. Even more, the talks were
> of extremely high quality. Thanks again to all the speakers!

Thanks for the quick report. I am glad to hear that it turned
out so well. Perhaps we will hear also from some of the other
participants? Any pictures?