Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom opportunity
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:29:11 +0200

Gaby,

26 Apr 2006 18:06:33 +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden>:
> Because I don't want to package it just for SuSE -- I might switch to or
> acquire a new Unix variant in the future.  Furthermore, I consider
> that approach a rathole[1]: which version of SuSE?  I certanly don't have
> a standard SuSE installation and my working version is probably too
> old by many standards.

The SuSE package (or RedHat or whatever) won't appear by chance.
Packaging a software is a lot of *work*. If you don't do it, nobody
will do it for you. Don't forget this is Free Software.

> I want to have Axiom in a form where I could
> just type "./configure; make; make install" and be done with it.  See the
> Autoconf suggestion in a different thread.

See the guy who said that he would provide a first a configure.ac. ;-)

>  But I would
> like Axiom to be better than that; that is the reason why I talked to
> Benjamin Kosnik about distribution when we met two-three weeks ago.  See the
> "cross compilation issue" in another thread.

RedHat *requires* cross-compilation capabilities. I'm not sure Axiom
is able to do that.

> I also briefly discussed
> the issue with Paolo Carlini,  fellow libstdc++ maintainer, working
> for SUSE.

So?

> [1] I had had a version of Maple working well till two years ago I
> upgraded to a newer linux version that was using a new version of
> glibc.  My copy of Maple stopped working.

Yes. This the reason that we are all working on Free Software and not
proprietary one. But this has nothing to do with packaging issues.
When the system evolves, one needs to provide the necessary work to
make the program working in the new environment. Tim is doing that
work. Bill also. We need more people coding and less talks (like what
I'm doing ;-).

Best wishes,
d.