Re: [Axiom-developer] size issue with noweb

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] size issue with noweb
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 04:52:40 -0400

> On a related note, I was wondering if such self documenting processes
> would not make the translation/localization a order of magnitude more
> difficult ?
>
> I have not quit the idea of helping with localizing Axiom to French
> and I have been looking for ways to do that cleanly, but, just like
> for emacs I found the highest barrier to localization is the fact
> that the code and the documentation are pretty much one and the same
> in literate programming. Or Am I misunderstanding something ?

it depends on what level of localization you want to claim.

translating the axiom tutorial book is a static task of known size.

if you want the algebra read-eval-print loop to speak french
you only need to change the internal messages, most of which
are collected in the s2-us.msgs file. some still need to be
collected.

if you want the hypertex browser to speak french then there is
an additional task of translating the browser pages. this is a
rather larger but not overwhelming task. this information is static.

if you want all of axiom to be translated into french this is
likely a huge, ongoing task. the system is slowly being converted
to self-documented code. this is a dynamic task.

so there are at least 4 different levels of translation that
would need to occur. personally i'd take them in the order listed
as that moves from the largest audience down to the smallest.