[Axiom-developer] RE: Attempt at Emacs mode pamphlet

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Attempt at Emacs mode pamphlet
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:31:23 -0400

Cliff,

On April 18, 2006 8:25 PM you wrote:
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxAxiomEmacsMode
> The second part is a bug report for Bill - when I tried to create
> this web page, I got the following:
>
> Some or all of this page may not have rendered properly,
> because of the following error:
>
> dvips: cd '/var/zope/var/LatexWiki/';
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/dvips -z
>  -o 'SandBox Axiom Emacs Mode.ps' 'SandBox Axiom Emacs Mode.dvi'
> This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/dvips: !
> DVI file can't be opened.

The problem is that the 'dvips' does not allow spaces in file
names. The pamphlet support on MathAction uses the page title
as an internal file name. It does this without checking for
spaces in the title. (This is a bug that I plan to fix soon.)
When you created the page you called it:

  SandBox Axiom Emacs Mode

and so the file name had spaces. I have changed the title to

 SandBoxAxiomEmacsMode

and now it works.

> Even more strangely, when I pressed the pdf link in the
> preview window of the editing form when I was uploading it,
> it seemed to work.

That is strange. I can't reproduce this behaviour.

> One other minor quirk - I tried to use the upload-file option
> but I didn't quite see how to tell it to go ahead and upload -
> Preview didn't do anything.  Probably just me :-/.

I suppose it is confusing. The file upload option on the
bottom  of the edit page is probably not what you might
have expected it to be. The purpose is to upload a file
(such as an image) and create a link to the file in the
"structured text" part of the page.

A "pamphlet file" on mathaction consists of two parts: a
"document" part that contains the noweb source which will
be rendered as an attached pdf, dvi, or ps file; and a
"structured text" part that looks like other non-pamphlet
pages on the wiki:

  document part +
  structured text part

Both parts are optional but either one or the other (or
both) must be present.

If you add comments to a pamphlet page, these comments
are added to the structured text part of the page.
Similarly, if you you upload an image or binary file,
the link to that image or file is created in the
structured text part of the page.

The document part of the page begins with:

  \documentclass

and ends with:

  \end{document}

and as you might expect is treated as a noweb/latex document.
In addition, the structured text part of the page (if any)
follows '\end{document}'. The structured text part is
rendered directly as HTML like other pages on the wiki.
If no '\documentclass ... \end{document}' is present, then
the page is treated as consisting of structured text only.

The structured text part of the page may contain Axiom
commands and embedded LaTeX equations (but not LaTeX in
full generality like the document part).

I hope this is clear, but I probably need to describe this
better somewhere on the wiki. Right now the only good
description is here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/210PamphletSupportOnMathAction

under "Revised Design".