RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: User interface,TeXmacs and Axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: User interface,TeXmacs and Axiom
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:57:12 -0400

On Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:37 PM Bob McElrath wrote:
> I worry a lot this group is bifurcating more than it is
> collaborating.
>
> We have N code repositories using 4 different version control
> softwares, 4 GUI's, 4 programming languages, 2 websites, etc.

I think you worry too much. :)

It is true that we have many different goals, tools, ideas
etc. and too few people and time. But I have come to
appreciate that one of the characteristics of open source
projects is that variety is a good thing even when you think
don't have the resouces to support it - the reason is that
variety usually attracts resources. You only have to look
at the enormous range of open source software available now
compared to commercial products in just five years time.
But sooner or later free thinking open source developers
will "think with their feet" and re-focus efforts on those
things that seem most likely to advance.

> Getting images out of tex is a hack and always has been.

Well, you are the author of one of the best efforts I know
to do that so I greatly respect your opinion, but I tend to
disagree. TeX/LaTeX is one of the most robust pieces of
software we have for this purpose. Tools like 'dvipng' are
making it easier to deal with TeX output in image form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

> We can either push on better tools to make them better
> (e.g. MathML), or keep incrementing the number of hacks
> we have collecting dust.

Well the MathAction website is not "collecting dust" and it
depends on LaTeX and your code. Other similar systems like
WikiMedia also make extensive use of LaTeX (with MathML
optional).

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Mathematics/Arch
ive10#Another_small_step_towards_MathML_support_in_MediaWiki

I have no problems "pushing" for better MathML but I still
think using it in a production system is too uncertain.
The necessary infrastructure (mostly MathML compatible browsers)
are not out there yet (give it a couple more years?)

I liked an idea you mentioned a few months ago about MathML
support in jsMath. That way LaTeX or MathML is a choice you
can make in javascript at your browser.