Re: [Axiom-developer] backups

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:15:53 -0700

Page, Bill address@hidden wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:36 Bob McElrath wrote:
> >
> > Is the backup at http://axiom.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/ and the
> > main mathaction wiki synchronized?  i.e. if someone makes
> > a change on the axiom.risc.uni-linz.ac.at site, does it
> > get propagated to the main site?
>
> Yes, I am using ZSyncer on both sites. Right now the process
> is still manual - mostly due to a problem involving
> "last_modified_date" on ZWiki pages separated by 7 timezones.
> I am planning to synchronize the two sites at least once per
> week. In the future I think this can be largely automated
> (except for edit conflicts). Eventually we might get software
> that makes this easier.

I tried to automate it with my mcelrath.org mirror but the problem I had
was with authentication, I think.

> I have thought about how best to use the new mirror site
> and I strongly believe that it should be a full and
> completely accessible mirror of the main Axiom site.
> Keeping a live mirror provides the incentive to keep the
> backup site up to date. It is ready to go and immediately
> in case of any problems with the other site. In the future
> if they are allowed to diverge in content I also think
> that is not necessarily such a bad thing - provided that
> both sites remain open and accessible.

In every instance where someone has made a "backup" site that I have
seen, it just causes confusion for users, and eventually drifts until
they aren't the same, causing further confusion.

For some reason bizarre physicists do this a lot.  I think it's a bad
idea.  ...Just my 2 cents.

Links to the other site for large downloads would be a good idea though.

> Perhaps some users will feel a greater affinity for a web
> server that is physically closer to them?

On the web, who can tell?

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It is almost universally felt that when we call a country
    democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every
    kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they
    might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one
    meaning." -- George Orwell