RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:35:28 -0400

On April 11, 2006 4:01 AM Gaby wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> | In the SourceForge Axiom CVS archive I have set the binary mode
> | for all the *.tgz files in the zips directory using the command:
> |
> | cvs admin -kb
> |
> | as described here:
> |
> | http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Programming/change_managemen
> | t/unix_cvs/PROGRAMMING_Working_with_Binary_Files.shtml
> |
> | I have also requested a 'refresh' of the SourceForge Axiom SVN
> | from CVS, so that should correct the binary files problem and
> | permit Axiom to be build from the SVN archive.
>
> Thanks!

I tested it and it seems ok to me now. Perhaps some of the other
developers who have downloaded the SVN silver version should test
this. An 'svn update' should be sufficient. Then Axiom should build
from this archive.

> | According to SourceForge this might take 2 or 3 hours to
> | complete. (Is SVN really that slow?)
>
> yes, it is that fast, when you mind about the history of the
> commits and such....

I guess you can tell that a REALLY don't like SVN... To do the
same thing with darcs and tla only takes a few minutes at most.
Almost all my experiences with SVN have been sort of negative
in this way and to top it off it is way too much like CVS! :(