RE: [Axiom-developer] Developing domain

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Developing domain
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:39:58 -0500

On March 30, 2006 1:09 AM Antoine Hersen wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > I use just:
> >
> >   while unhappy repeat
> >     )sys vi file.spad
> >     ... code ...
> >     )co file.spad
> >     ... test ...
>
> vi !!!! (just kidding)

I only use vi when I am unhappy... a kind of self-punishment. ;)

> > Or are you one of those people that has an Axiom installation
> > that does not properly cleanup the NRLIB directories? This does
> > not happen on any of my Axiom systems (3 different flavours of
> > Linux plus Windows). If so, any more documentation you can
> > provide about this would be appreciated.
>
> Debian Stable, with the last arch version of axiom hand compiled,
> anything I can do to give more useful info ?

Using an earlier (September source distributioin) I can not reproduce
your problem on Debian stable. Either this is due to a recent change
in Axiom sources or (perhaps) you have some different file permissions
than me.

Does the same thing happen if you run and compile as 'root'?

> >       AXIOMsys < some_file
> It works but quit as soon as it is done, I guess AXIOMsys is coded
> in C and I could fix that myself

??? What else did you expect it to do? What is there to fix?

No, AXIOMsys is **not** written in C. It is written in Lisp. It is
a saved GCL image.

> > Check out section 9.58 of the Axiom book:
> >
> > 9.58 Operator
> > Given any ring R, the ring of the Integer-linear operators
> > over R is called Operator(R). To create an operator over R,
> > first create a basic operator using the operation operator,
> > and then convert it to Operator(R) for the R you want.
>
> Yes I had read that, I just do not see the big picture.

When you see the big picture please send a sketch of it to the
rest of us. ;)