RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: GNU Arch - was patches

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: GNU Arch - was patches
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:10:00 +1000

> The lack of upkeep on the server copy of a branch seems to be
> completely independent of the issue of which maintenance
> system to use.

I'm arguing precisely against the shunting aside of separate subprojects
to which Arch's alleged capabilities contributed. I see both processes
as therefore being dependent.

I doubt whether many of the changes being made in, for example, the spad
parts of Axiom are relevant to the purely system related issues of the
Windows sub-project and therefore it is an unnecessary step to have to
back port into the sub-project only to have to merge later on into the
main arch tree and then further merge into CVS, otherwise facing the
possibility of being out-of-date with important bug fixes.

I am also saying that Arch is useless on Windows.

Believe me, if you don't like tla on Unix platforms, you would abhor it
under Windows.  The only way I was able to undo the mess it made of my
file system under Cygwin (exacerbated I admit by a network domain change
which stuffed up) was to spend hours changing file permissions and
renaming directories to Windows acceptable file name lengths on two
different computers.

Furthermore I was never able to get ssh commits working with Arch.

It will take a very good reason for me ever to use Arch again.

Cheers

Mike Thomas