Re: [Axiom-developer] Curiosities with Axiom mathematical structures

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Curiosities with Axiom mathematical structures
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:56:15 +0100

On 03/14/2006 01:46 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > Imagine you could ask "if M has Monoid(+)..." or "if M has
| > Monoid(*)...". According to which returns true, you would then go on and
call
| > (m1 +$M m2) or (m1 *$M m2). Well, but M might have a monoid structure with
| > respect to the operation ".". Do you really also want to ask "if M has
| > Monoid(.)..."? That soon becomes impractical.
| | No, this is not an issue about practicality. | | Look at it this way: Suppose "M has Monoid" returns "true". How do you know
| then with respect to which operation M is a monoid? What can you do with the
| information that M is a monoid with respect to some operation?

Exactly!

If we had access to Aldor compiler sources, it would helpful to
experiment with these ideas.

Gaby, although I don't like the syntax currently in discussion, you should write to Stephen Watt (address@hidden). Perhaps this even helps to speed up the process of getting the compiler generally under an open source license.

Ralf