[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom+Texmacs

From: Tim Yamin
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom+Texmacs
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:14:03 +0000

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 02:26:20PM -0500, Page, Bill wrote:
> I am not sure exactly what the issue is in [2]. I am not a
> gentoo user and I am not familiar with the gentoo binary
> distribution process. But this issue could be related to [1]
> if for some reason the person responsible for the gentoo binary
> version of tm_axiom.c (which normally comes from the TeXmacs
> distribution) configured it to call something other than the
> AXIOMsys executable but did not make the required additional
> modification to support the double prompt. One of the symptoms
> of the double problem problem is that the communication between
> Axiom and TeXmacs is broken and the result is similar to what
> is described in [1].

Hi Bill,

Well, neither are shipped as binaries. Both are compiled from source.
Looking at Axiom 3.9 with both AXIOMsys and axiom I'm getting a double
prompt once [Enter] has been keyed - I'm guessing this is what is
confusing Texmacs.

Thanks for the tip - turns out this is a bug in the packaging code. The
wrapper to launch AXIOMsys is the same one as that to launch 'axiom' and
hence the double prompt issue :)

Also it might be a good idea to add a noweb security patch [1] to Axiom
since Axiom builds and uses its own distribution and the version currently
there has a few holes that could do with plugging :)

Thanks,

Tim

[1]
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/sci-mathematics/axiom/files/noweb-2.9-insecure-tmp-file.patch.input?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain