Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: ASDF and ./configure

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: ASDF and ./configure
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:04:47 -0800 (PST)

If it's anything like the GCL+localbfd issues I ran into, I think it
went something like this:

1)  GCL relies on specific binutils versions, since binary incompatible
changes are a requent event in the binutils world.
2)  A number of linux distributions (the problem is especially
noticable on something like Gentoo) will incorporate changes in bfd
faster than GCL keeps up with them.
3)  The safe answer on such systems is to build a copy of bfd that GCL
knows how to deal with, specifically for GCL.  This results in more
overhead for GCL installs but I think disk space and CPU time are
cheaper than programmer time, in this particular case.

This email deals with a similar GCL problem (I don't think I was trying
to build Axiom at that time):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2002-10/msg00147.html

There is also a discussion of the binutils problem on the debian lists:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2004-08/msg00033.html

Cheers,
CY