Re: ASDF and ./configure (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hyper doc search er

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: ASDF and ./configure (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hyper doc search error)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:53:38 +0100

Tim (and al.),

Thank you for the comments and summary of the build process. I'll keep
it in mind.

2006/2/21, root <address@hidden>:
> > If you agree I'll take the job.
>
> Ummm, that's reversing the approval path methinks. If your solution
> works and is not disruptive then it's likely to get accepted.

Obviously! I know how Free Software works. I just wanted you to
confirm me that I have at least have a chance to have my patch
considered for inclusion. If you have told me that you don't want
*any* shell script or home made ./configure, I would have not bothered
trying to make one.

> But a "rewrite the world" solution is likely to get a lot of pushback.
> Propose something and we can all comment on it.

Sure, I'm reading Bill's posts. ;-) I think a hand-written ./configure
is the way to go, contrary to Bill's idea of using autoconf. I'll make
my own proposal and then the Axiom Community will decide.

And I should underline that I believe more in consensus than
everything else. So the final build system will probably be a mix
between Bill's ideas, mines and yours. :-)

Best wishes,
d.