Re: [Axiom-developer] about Expression Integer

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] about Expression Integer
Date: 20 Feb 2006 18:15:39 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > But eventually in order to program in Axiom, it is essential that
| > they gain a full appreciation of the object-oriented design
| > philosophy.
|
| I would not really like to call Axiom (or Aldor) object-oriented.
| We don't write
|
| a.add(b)
|
| in order to add two numbers.

There is more to object-orientation than "dot notation".  To my eyes
and mind, Aldor and Axiom are object-oriented, and they haven't yet
escaped that land :-(

| the function "add" is not attached to the object a. It is rather that
| a and b are on equal footing.

"equal footing" is not contradictory to object orientation.

| Try to program a simple thing as a n-ary polynomial ring in a purely
| object-oriented programming language (like for example JAVA even with
| generics),

Why Java instead of CLOS?

| then it becomes clear that Axiom has more to offer that the
| current trend in programming.

The current trend in programming is some heavy or displcaed emphasis
on generic programming.