RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom did not compile on sparc solaris

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom did not compile on sparc solaris
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:25:03 -0500

On Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:15 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Bill Page writes:
> |
> |   ./configure
> |
> | You must set your AXIOM and PATH variables. Type:
> |
> | To build the rest of the system type:
> |
> | export AXIOM=/export/disk0/dmprod/axiom/mnt/solaris9
> | export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
> | make AWK=gawk TAR=gtar PATCH=gpatch
>
> We should aim to mechanize those steps instead of requiring user
> intervention.

I agree completely. The way the Axiom build works right now
is quite non-standard and largely unsatisfactory.

> | The Axiom ./configure uses 'solaris9' even though my system
> | is actually Solaris 8. I don't think this a problem.
>
> I haven't looked to configure yet, but if we're going to use
> configure at all, then we should use the standard scripts that
> compute and use the canonical system triplet.

Actually, Axiom's ./configure is not the standard autoconf
type of script. It is just something quickly cobbled together
that really does very little.

If you have some experience with using autoconf then your
help creating a proper ./configure for Axiom would be greatly
appreciated. :)