RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:32:14 -0500

On > Sent: January 12, 2006 4:19 PM Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 13:57 -0500, Bill Page wrote:
> > ... Maybe what we need is a kind of "petition" that people
> > could "sign" and email to him. I fear that perhaps Steven
> > does not take my claims that this is desired by many people
> > very seriously.
>
> (petition signed) Karl Hegbloom <address@hidden>

Thanks!

> > In another email I agreed to the individual license, but still
> > I have not heard from him about either the open source license
> > or the individual license.
>
> What are the restrictions of that license, I wonder?  Are you
> allowed to re-license it, or modify and share source?

Having never actually seen the "source license" for Aldor, I can
not answer this question directly, but the rational for the binary
license for Aldor

http://www.aldor.org/license-rationale.html

"The fourth clause is present for two reasons:

    * Parts of the existing code base in the software package that
this license is applied to require Aldor.org to make any updates
available to the initial contributors. The clause is there to give
Aldor.org the right to do this.
    * It reserves for major contributors, through Aldor.org, greater
flexibility to create and exploit potential future software based on
this work, and protects them where they have existing non-open software
that is related to or shares some code with this work.

> What kind of restrictions does it make wrt reverse-engineering, for
> something like a clean-room reimplementation of it?  After having
> viewed it's source, are you restricted from working on such a thing?

No, I don't think that is the intention. The binary license, at least,
is not a non-disclosure agreement.

> Is a rewrite a good idea, or not?

I believe that rewriting is way beyond the scope of what is currently
possible with the resource currently available to the open source
Axiom project.