[Axiom-developer] userinfo variable

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] userinfo variable
Date: 07 Dec 2005 22:54:21 +0100

Dear Tim, *

incidently, two unrelated persons uttered the same wish today, and I was also
thinking about it quite a bit:

in mupad, there is a variable "userinfo" that can be set to some integer,
depending on which mupad spits out more or less info on what it is doing. For
example, it would say something like

"trying to match pattern xyz"

when doing integration, or

"trying series expansion"

when doing a limit calculation. Of course, this is similar but different to
)set me bo on.

How do you think it would be possible to incorporate such a feature? Of course,
the text that Axiom is supposed to print during the calculations needs to be
constructed in the packages themselves. But I do not know how to test an
environment variable from Algebra code. Furthermore, one would have to be
careful that under normal operation, i.e., userinfo switched off, not too much
cpu-time gets eaten...

Martin