Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:05:02 +0100

Hi Michel,

address@hidden wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 at 14:42, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

Just one quick comment... there are several places where you use TeX
syntax. I'd prefer to promote LaTeX (it's \newpage instead of \eject).
In fact I don't like to see \eject at all.

This is incorrect. \eject is a valid LaTeX command, for all versions of LaTeX.
It is defined in lplain.tex (for LaTeX 2.09) and in latex.ltx (for LaTeX2e).
\newpage is different from \eject, it is not a substitute to it. So, if Tim uses
 \eject and it gives the result he wants, then he is correct.

OK, I was incorrect with \eject. It is in latex.ltx and, therefore a LaTeX command.

But I still don't like to see it in a LaTeX document, especially not in places like

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{src/scripts/tex/axiom}
\begin{document}
\title{The Top Level Makefile}
\author{Timothy Daly}
\maketitle
\begin{abstract}
\end{abstract}
\eject
\tableofcontents
\eject
\section{General Makefile Structure}

If one really likes to have the output like that then the command "\tableofcontent" and/or the environment "abstract" should be redefined via a style file. Even if that costs a little more effort in writing those styles, it separates style from contents. That was the point I wanted to make.

\begin{thebibliography}{99}
\bibitem{1} nothing
\end{thebibliography}

It is old technology.

What do you mean by "old technology" ? These are also valid LaTeX commands,
in all versions of LaTeX

Of course, you are correct, but it is much better to use BibTeX. There is simply more structure in a BibTeX file than in a usual "thebibliography" environment.

If you rather like to maintain such environments instead of a BibTeX file, fine with me, but I wouldn't like to do this.

Ralf