Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: allprose missing file

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: allprose missing file
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:00:48 -0500

CY,

i started a reply to your latex work a while ago but i guess i never
sent the email. broken down to its essence i have objections to
using conditional code in a latex document. if we start down that
path we end up with the whole "C" define horror show. C introduced
#ifdef and #include .h, both of which have caused endless amounts of
grief in my life. a fair percent of my porting problems revolve around
these seemingly simple ideas which are the root of a lot of evil.
because they are so pervasive at this point everyone seems to think
they are useful. "in the small" they are but once you have a large,
complex system they collapse.

i know this will turn into another point of controversy but before
you turn on the flames try following (by hand) the expansion of
your include files under all possible combination of define flags
and you'll see that it is hopeless.

conditional latex, as monty python used to say, is "right out".

badtim