RE: [Axiom-developer] B#

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] B#
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:58:30 -0500

On November 20, 2005 6:12 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Doug Stewart <address@hidden> writes:
>
> | Isn't Axiom written in Lisp?
>
> sort-of -- and it depends on your definition of Lisp.  See
> the recent long threads about BOOT vs. Lisp vs. The-Rest-
> of-The-World :-)
>

>From my point of view, yes the main part of Axiom is written
in Lisp. The issue of Boot is about the architecture of Axiom
and how to use Lisp;  it's not about one language versus
another since Boot is written in Lisp (and Boot), uses Lisp
data structures and compiles to Lisp. The only reason it
exists is as an intermediate language to implement parts of
Axiom. There is a difference of opinion as to whether this is
a good design or not.

HyperDoc, Axiom graphics and sman - the glue that manages the
sessions and sockets, are all written in C.