Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom common lisp

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom common lisp
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:11:53 -0500

what are the semantics of these operations?

evalandfileactq
rdefiostream
rplq
*lam
mdef
comp370
remove-fluids
dcqexp

unless you happen to have the documentation for vmlisp handy
it's unlikely you'll be able to decide or even guess. future
generations won't even have vmlisp available. i spoke to Fred
Blair (the vmlisp author) and he doesn't even have a copy of
the sources.

rdefiostream creates filenames which follow VM/CMS conventions
8char.8char.1char (filename, filetype, filemode (disk name))
do we want to carry this convention into the future?

the other operations are equally obscure. there are more where
they came from. their semantics pervade the sources and unless
you understand their semantics you'll never guess why filenames
have such wierd restrictions.

so i can document and educate the users on the wierd file i/o
semantic differences or simply write it out of the code and
adopt proper ansi common lisp conventions.

only my questionable expertise in vmlisp allows me to maintain
this code. i want it to go away so others can maintain/modify
and expand it.