[Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:45:37 -0500

On November 16, 2005 8:38 PM Tim Daly Jr. wrote:
> > Really, I don't want to play with any of this.
>
> It shows.

Thank you.

> > I want to use computer algebra for theoretical physics.
> > I would prefer if heavy lifting was done in a collaborative
> > manner, shared among several people. But instead, the
> > suggestion is that I should start by studying a textbook on
> > lisp ...
>
> Look, if you're not willing to learn, if you're not willing
> to read a beautiful book and learn something about one of the
> most amazing creations of human intelligence, in fact the very
> language that the project you're trying to work with is written
> in, then you may as well give up now.

Well, I have a feeling that I probably first studied lisp a few
years before you were born and it seems that I still learn about
one new programming language per year so your assumption that I
am unwilling to learn is not warranted. Lisp is neat but I think
you would have to have a pretty limited experience to class it
as "one of the most amazing creations of human intelligence"
especially in the context of a project like Axiom whose goal it
is to make all of mathematics available by computer.

I am well aware that Axiom is written in lisp and that's perfectly
fine with me.

> When someone recommends a good book to you, you say "thank you".

I am sure it's a good book, but there have been dozens of good
books written about lisp.

> > The reason to care what poison we choose and the reason to
> > spend a lot of time discussing it is the hope that in the
> > longer term this will eventually lead to co-operative
> > development instead of a series of one-person shows.
>
> So you're going to generate hot air until somebody else does
> the work. Fine.  I hope that works out for you.

No, I am generating hot air while I continue to do the things
that I think matter to help make this project a collaborative
effort. I hope that it works for all of us.

> The way to start a project is to release your code with an
> email that says "hey, I hacked this up and it basically works,
> please give it a shot and let me know what you think".  If
> people like it, they send you patches.

As I said, I don't think working on Axiom should be this sort
of one-person show.