Re: [Axiom-developer] [Bug?] "error in library; negative log"

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [Bug?] "error in library; negative log"
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:13:51 -0800

(-1)^\infty is an indeterminate expression, like 0/0.

Mathematica returns Indeterminate, and maple returns "-1 .. 1" since the
limit is bounded, but indeterminate on the interval [-1,1].

Infinity is neither even nor odd.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would
    be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might
    start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in
    physics classrooms." -- Stephen Jay Gould (1941 - 2002)