Re: [Axiom-developer] Couple of quick questions while I'm thinking of th

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Couple of quick questions while I'm thinking of them
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:49:37 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> the bibtex file in src/doc is intended to be the standard place
> where bibtex references from axiom reside. this keeps the bibtex
> reference files from showing up all over the place.
>
> it only references axiom files now because that's all i had at the
> time.

OK.  I'll look it over and try merging in my stuff.

> the idea of the bibtex file as a pamphlet file is that bibtex
> references would be kept with annotations so people could figure
> out what the reference was about (an abstract). that way people
> could expand the annotations as well as give references. and people
> who wanted to know what the reference was about but did not have the
> reference could read the annotations.

Hmm.  OK.  That's a little more extensive than my original bibliography
was going to be.  I'll go back and start summarizing each paper as I go
(or do you want the actual paper abstracts?)

> the size of the file isn't an issue. the ability to manage the
> references is an issue. if every pamphlet file has its own bibtex
> and index files we'll have a hairball of files.

OK.  Should we have some kind of indexing scheme that identifies which
pamphlet files a paper relates to?  Maybe bibtex itself has some
optional field for that, I'll have to look.

One problem I can forsee is the case where a pamphlet wants to include
in its bibliography papers or books it didn't directly reference in the
text itself.  There is an option for this but IIRC it's an all or
nothing scheme - you can either include JUST the papers you reference
or the entire contents of the bibliography. (Eeek)  I suppose the
simple solution is to just include a "For Further Reading" section that
references everything the rest of the text didn't get.

Cheers,
CY

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs