Re: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:57:32 -0500

> Since when does any high level language "add functionality"?
> You should not expect it too. Fortran does not add functionality
> to Assembler language. If anything it specifically removes
> functionality, trading-off extreme flexibility for a more
> congenial model of computation. No one could argue that the
> development of high level programming languages was some kind
> of mistake.

boot and lisp attack the same problem with different syntax.
in the same environment, namely the execution environment of
the interpreter boot loses

   backquote
   macros
   structures
   data-program symmetry

if we were going to keep a boot-level syntax i'd argue for recoding
the whole interpreter into python. at least python is a recognized
language with documentation and a user base.

but lisp will do what python does
lisp code for the interpreter exists and works
lisp has documentation and a user base
i know lisp.