[Axiom-developer] RE: Boot vs. Lisp - various

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Boot vs. Lisp - various
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:13:34 -0500

On November 2, 2005 8:28 AM C Y wrote:

>>> Starting from BOOT I haven't got the faintest idea of how to
>>> proceed.  Lots of things like that will crop up over time,
>>> and Lisp already is working on the problem of being able to
>>> interface with a large number of foreign libraries via FFI.
>
> Bill Page wrote:
>>
>> Exactly that issue came up in Kai Kaminski's work on Axiom UI.
>> In that case Kai choose initially to use an entirely separate
>> lisp process (in fact written in clisp rather than gcl because
>> of ansi compatibility) and to communicate with Axiom via a
>> pipe or socket.
>
> Kai, did you do that because you wanted to avoid having to run
> the UI in the same thread as Axiom itself or because of toolkit
> limitations?

I am sorry, I must retract one thing I wrote earlier. In the
quoted email on November 1, 2005 11:23 I went on to write:

>> But gradually and during the latter stages of his work he
>> discovered that he had to make changes in some boot code in
>> Axiom in order to support Scalable Vector Graphics in the
>> AxiomUI browser.

Sorry. I have reviewed my email and the archive that Kai produced
as part of the AxiomUI project and I see that what I wrote above
is wrong. During the AxiomUI project Kai did not write boot code
for the purpose I indicated but rather SPAD, although at several
times we did discuss the issue of boot vs. lisp.

You can see the pamphlet part of Kai's work online here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--GUI--1

(The missing parts in the lisplib folder are external lisp
modules.)

>> Now as gcl approaches full ansi compliance and after Axiom
>> is ported to the ansi standard (see another recent thread on
>> this subject), I wonder if Kai might have used a different
>> approach and written more in boot?

I would like to let this question stand and hope Kai has a few
moments available to commment.

It is interesting to notice that Kai does in fact make use of
lisp's asdf tools in the build script for this package.