RE: [Axiom-developer] compile with Debian fails

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] compile with Debian fails
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:41:17 -0400

Martin, Tim,

On Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:52 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> clearly noweb is not working for you.
> do a `which noweb` to see if it is installed already.
> you may be using an installed version rather than axiom's
> version.

There are two different ways to build Axiom on Debian:
The Debian way and Tim Daly's way ... :)

Of on Debian, the Debian way is by far the easiest. In
this case all you have to do is to configure your apt
to access the unstable sources.

  $ apt-setup

See: http://wiki.debian.org/AptCLI

Also: "Working with Source Packages"
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

And then do

  # apt-get build-dep axiom

To download and intstall the environment you need to build axiom.

To get the sources

  $ apt-get source axiom

Etc.

I have also built Axiom "Tim's Way" on Debian, but it is
rather hard to get all the dependencies right. The 'apt-get
build-dep' should fix that, so you should also then be able
to do a

  .\configure
  make

> and a missing 'stdio.h' bodes not well.
> check to see if there is one in /usr/include.
>   if not, the system setup is broken
>     else, something is wrong in your environment, try env and
> post the result
>
> you can also try
>    apt-get install axiom
> to see if that works. the apt-get version is about 1 year
> downlevel i believe but if it works then i'm puzzled.

If the Debian axiom binary install doesn't work, then that
would be a problem! I never had any trouble with that after
at least 10 installs on different versions of Debian.

The Debian "unstable" release is from the Sept 2005 sources,
i.e. completely up to date. See:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom