[Axiom-developer] RE: tex4ht and jsmath

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: tex4ht and jsmath
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:45:09 -0400

On Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:34 PM Eitan Gurari wrote:
> > > Some visual problems need to be corrected, in particular
> > > for \eqno.
>  >
>  > I think that's a macro in axiom.sty?
>
> No, it is a primitive instruction of TeX.

Oh ya... in fact there are quite a number of places where Axiom
documentation and even Axiom itself using "old fashioned" TeX
coding styles. I agree that these should (eventually) be weeded
out and replaced. Right now there is an axiom developer (Andreas?)
who is doing some work to replace the TeX generated by Axiom with
better LaTeX. His immediate motivation is to better support tools
like TeXmacs.

Will tex4ht convert any of these legacy codes?

>  > When you have time, could you also look at the result of
>  > processing the 'tex' from the following page:
>  >
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/src/algebra/fspace.spad
>
> Can you provide me a pointer to axiom.sty (and the other required
> files?).  The fspace file consists just of noweb macros.  No direct
> math there.  Any math that comes into play there is through the
> noweb macros.

See:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/src/scripts/tex

All the files required to build Axiom from source should be part of
this source tree on the Axiom wiki. If you notice anything else
missing, please let me know.

>  > > * Added {\csname HCode\endcsname{}} before ^ in the following
>  > > three formulas

> > Well, please define "wrong way"
>
> Having latex source code specified for the visual effects instead
> of for the mathematical semantics meaning.

Hmmm... wouldn't that imply {\csname HCode\endcsname{}} is the
"wrong way"? But anyway, I understand that there are always
compromises we have to make to standards.