Re: [Axiom-developer] Unit package proposals and questions

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Unit package proposals and questions
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:22:52 -0400

Camm Maguire wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> William Sit <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I left the above in, just hoping someone will know how to do this. It is
> > really
> > a very simple thing. The information (strings for the dimensions) is in a
> > list.
> > Why can't we feed this to Union without the list wrapper? Axiom allows
> > commands
> > in Lisp, and so someone who knows Lisp (Tim, Bill, Camm) should be able to
> > easily write a line to do that. In Mathematica, one can replace the "Head",
>
> What exactly is the lisp needed here?

I suppose I thought Lisp is useful here because Union is a low level construct
and so lisp may be needed to convert a LIST STRING object as a delisted tuple of
STRING objects to Union, just like

 Union("Mass", "Length")

which works, instead of

 Union(["Mass", "Length"])

which does not work as intended. I tried to do this within Axiom
interpreter/compiler and was not able to. Roughly, need a domain constructor:

Dimension(s: List String):SetCategory == Union(delisted s)

Thanks for your interest in this.

William