[Axiom-developer] Axiom in general

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom in general
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:59:20 -0400

CY,

>Also - Tim, a question about Axiom in general - Do we have somewhere in Axiom
>a thorough description on the mathematical principles it's based on?
>(Groups, Rings, etc.?)  Do the pamphlet files cover all that?  I'm not sure
>making Axiom into a huge self contained introduction and definition of all
>mathematics is a workable or desirable goal, but it would be nice to define a
>minimum education level needed to work with the system and recommend some
>resources for various education levels to get them started.

Unfortunately Axiom does not contain a thorough description of the
mathematical principles. It does not even contain a good explanation
of category theory or even of the algorithms that it uses. By design
this will change in the future provided people lend their expertise
to the problem. It's clearly a 30 year horizon goal.

Tim