Re: [Axiom-developer] Unit package question

From: smustudent1
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Unit package question
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 05:33:42 -0400

Least anyone think I have abandoned this, I just want to give a brief update:

I've started trying to create a units.spad.pamphlet file, but as yet I've not
written any actual code - I'm trying to set up the structure of the latex
document itself and provide a useful background on units, dimensions, and
issues surrounding them.  This is not strictly speaking useful to the Axiom
implementation part of this discussion, but has proven very educational for
me about units, measurement, and standards :-).  I figure this is the moral
equalevent of documenting algorithms and domains in normal Axiom usage,
so I'll try to cram in all the potentially important information.  I suspect
what I'll wind up with might be overkill, but it can always be trimmed down.

I'm trying to lay things out overall along the lines which have evolved from
the previous discussions, but those discussions printed out are well over 60
pages so it's a lot to go through.  I'm going to add a couple sections to the
document that initially won't see much (if any) work, as they are parts
William disliked (ways to make units populate the top level namespace,
Reverse Dimensional Analysis, user level tools for a MyUnits environment,
etc.) and aren't necessary to the core functionality in any case.  Right now,
I'm just trying to define terms, document the reasoning behind design
decisions, find and cite useful and important sources like the NIST
definition documents, and generally get set up so the nitty gritty
implementation details have a framework to go in.  My first cut  will
probably not be very good, but at least it will be something to tear apart
and redo.  Once I've reached a stage where it might be of interest to someone
I'll be glad to post it.  I may throw in a little code attempting to do
something like define the top level Category, but it will almost certainly be
completely wrong the first time around ;-).

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know I hadn't lost interest.  (Real life
can get rather annoying at times, too - jobs sure can eat up time :-/.)

Thought we'd get more comment (other than from me anyway) on William's overall
design ideas - maybe we got too longwinded and lost the audience? ;-)

Cheers,
CY