[Axiom-developer] [other Computer Algebra systems] [other Computer Algeb

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [other Computer Algebra systems] [other Computer Algebra systems] Derive
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:53 -0500

Changes
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/OtherComputerAlgebraSystems/diff
--
List price for Derive is about $200US and student price is about $100US.
Its core-level mathematical capabilities are equivalent to nearly every
"general" CAS out there, and anything you can implement in them can be
implemented in Derive. I have never been able to afford Maple or
Mathematica or even Reduce, so I can't comment on them.

Ease of use: Derive is much easier to use than Maxima, although I think
that's just because I've been using Derive since about 1994 (on DOS back
then!). I just started with Axiom, so I can't comment on it either.
Axiom has a great reputation on the "gentoo-science" mailing list, so
I'm learning how to use it.

Development does appear to have slowed down -- I wouldn't say stopped.
The release level is 6.1. A couple of years ago, the founders of Soft
Warehouse sold the business to Texas Instruments, so the business
decisions are made now by TI rather than the founders as near as I can
tell. In any event, Derive is essentially "complete" -- its main market
is students.

I haven't found anything it can't do in a professional environment,
though. My needs for a CAS right now are mostly to deal with equations
in computer performance modeling -- Markov chains, ODEs, Laplace
Transforms, etc. Derive handles them well and was my only practical
alternative on Windows systems until I got a working Maxima port a year
or so ago. But if you need Grobner basis calculations, well, they have
that too ... :)