[Axiom-developer] RE: Polymake needs permission to write a file

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Polymake needs permission to write a file
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:04:05 -0400

Martin,

On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:00 AM you wrote:

> lot of traffic today, eh?

Yah, we're making up for lost time. :)

> I wrote:
>  >
>  > I don't understand what you mean by "parameterize the domain".
>
> The polymake domain currently has
>
>      vertices: % -> Matrix Integer
>
> This cannot work, since the vertices are not always integers.
> See my other post.

Yes, I understand. But this is a separate problem. The problem
that I mention below is a program abort in a polymake constructor.

>  > On your computer if you type:
>  >
>  > rand_sphere randsp.poly 2 3
>  >
>  > what are the contents of the randsp.poly file?
>
> depends on the seed, obviously...
>
> _application polytope
> _version 2.1.0
> _type RationalPolytope
>
> AMBIENT_DIM
> 2
>
> POINTS
> 1 -0.063018 -0.998012
> 1 0.840255 0.542191

On the axiom-developer server the result is just "Illegal instruction".

> might it be that you got the wrong RPM?

I don't think so. The developers only provide one rpm file for linux
systems.

> > This problem might be solved if we could just re-compile the
> > programs from source code.
>
> Yes. but the developers themselves say that this is at least very
> time consuming, if you don't have enough memory on your machine.
> Well, I guess you have...

We are talking about Axiom here, remember. It is nothing for us if the
build of Axiom talks all day long! So what if building polymake takes
a couple of hours?

Anyway as far as I can tell, there are some errors in the polymake
source code. I would be glad to discuss this with the developers.