RE: [Axiom-developer] what is meaining of % in SPAD

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] what is meaining of % in SPAD
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:53:44 -0400

On July 20, 2005 7:23 PM William Sit wrote:

> "Page, Bill" wrote:
>> What does the % represent?
>
> % means the current domain in which this occurs (for categories,
> it refers to any domain of that category). In older spad files,
> the symbol is $ (Chapter 12 of Axiom book). Here, it means EXPR R.

Yes, thanks. After thinking twice about this I realized that this
must be the case.

Are the notations % and $ used interchangably in SPAD code? Why
this change? This use of % does not seem to be mentioned anywhere
in the book but you imply that it is a "newer" notation.

> I am not too sure exactly how 'EXPR R' orders its elements, but
> from 'expr.spad', the ordering is inherited from 'Rep :=
> FRAC SMP(R, Kernel EXPR R)'. Ignoring the ordering on 'FRAC'
> (uniquely determined by the ordering on 'SMP'), this means the
> ordering should be induced by lexicographic order using the
> "variables" ordering of 'Kernel EXPR R'. Here is where things become
> difficult (one of the cyclic compiler problems?). Have to dig into
> kl.spad.

Very interesting reading! :)

As near as I can determine (see previous email), it all has to do
with CacheableSet.

Thanks.