[Axiom-developer] [Enhanced Fraction Domain] Seems to work for me...

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [Enhanced Fraction Domain] Seems to work for me...
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:10:02 -0500

Changes
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/EnhancedFractionDomain/diff
--

??changed:
-While I haven't used nor fully digested the axiom related patches, the author
is apparently the same individual who so helpfully suggested an improvement to
GCL ratio arithmetic recently, which has been implemented in CVS head (2.7.0).
Rational arithmetic is now much faster in many regards, as GCL makes use of
more functionality in the highly optimized gmp library.  The bulk of the axiom
patch appears to be intended to call the lisp arithmetic functions directly --
apparently the spad compilation process results in a number of layers between
axiom and lisp here (not verified).  This is of course not particular to any
implementation of lisp, it is just that one can at least expect significant
performance advantages when GCL is the lisp.  There are still calls to
cancelGcd -- perhaps it would be useful to bring forward the gmp library
function GCL uses internally for this purpose.

forwarded from http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/address@hidden