Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: 05 May 2005 13:14:41 -0400

Greetings!

Bill Page <address@hidden> writes:

> Mike Thomas wrote:
>
> >I just tried the CLtL1 build - no joy.
> >
> >There are definite problems with the new code as socket variables should be
> >defined with SOCKET (an unsigned int) rather than int and the error return
> >values on Windows are not the same as on BSD systems however I just tried to
> >eliminate those problems and still have the same trouble.
> >
> >I'm using Internet Explorer.
> >
> Ah, yes now I can confirm there are definite problems accessing the
> "gcl simple web server" using IE 6. I have been testing using Firefox 1.0.3
> and oddly exactly the same url works fine with no aborts.
>
> >I'll keep looking perhaps tomorrow.  Hopefully
> >this is due to a stupid mistake on my part.
> >
> No I think you are right (we are both right :). There is a problem
> when using Internet Explorer. IE must be making rather different
> socket calls than FireFox. That seems quite odd to me.
>
> Using IE, the problem seems to intermittant. It works for a while
> with some urls and not others.

Does this mean that there are some errors that are 100% reproducible?
If so, start with those.

> Here is a typical failed test using IE.
>
> ---------
> $ saved_gcl
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    May  4 2005 16:56:38
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>
>  >(load "test-http2.lsp")

> ----------
>
> Then using Microsoft Explorer 6 sp2 and url
>   http://localhost:8085/msys/1.0/
> I get the following error:
>
> ----------
>
> get GET fn /msys/1.0/ dn /msys/1.0/
>
> Error: error writing to socket: errno= 22
> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by FORMAT.
> Broken at FORMAT.  Type :H for Help.
>  >>(si::use-fast-links nil)
>
> NIL
>  >>:bt

IE appears to be closing the socket before your write completes.  The
odd thing is that you report that it is intermittent.  There are two
possibiities that come to mind -- either ie insists on a complete set
of html headers from the server, or there is a timeout issue.  You
need to do (si::use-fast-links nil) before the error, btw.  There may
also be a carriage return/line feed problem, i.e. ie could insist that
all newlines be preceeded by carriage returns.  Forget the lisp
sequence for cr's, but the docs should reveal it.  Does ie appear to
still be waiting for input when the error triggers?  Lastly, you could
try reproducing the error with the little utility 'netcat' listening
on the port, and typing the same text in once the connection is made.
I suppose if we cannot reproduce with this, then there must be some
other incompatible socket type/protocol (i.e. 'embrace and extend')
that ie is expecting in this case.  Another idea is to fire up the
server on a Linux box on the same net and try to reproduce.  IE might
treat foreign sockets in the standard way, but local sockets
proprietarily.

Of course, we could just use firefox for axiom, which would avoid
any other browser incompatibilities too.

> #0   FORMAT {loc0=#<two-way stream 1022ad14>,loc1="<a
> href=\"~a\">~a</a> <a href=\"~a/\"> /....} [ihs=19]
> #1   FORMAT {loc0=#<two-way stream 1022ad14>,loc1="<a
> href=\"~a\">~a</a> <a href=\"~a/\"> /....} [ihs=18]
> #2   FOO {} [ihs=13]
> #3   BAR {lambda-block=foo,} [ihs=8]
> #4   LOAD {loc0=nil,loc1=nil,loc2=nil,loc3=(lambda-block bar (p fn)
> ...),loc4=8085,loc5=(l...} [ihs=7]
> #5   EVAL {loc0=nil,loc1=nil,loc2=nil,loc3=#<compiled-function
> load>,loc4=#p"test-http2.ls...} [ihs=6]
> #6   TOP-LEVEL
> {loc0=nil,loc1=0,loc2=0,loc3=nil,loc4=nil,loc5=nil,loc6=nil,loc7="C:/msys/1.0/ho...}
> [ihs=5]
> #7   FUNCALL {loc0=#<compiled-function system:top-level>} [ihs=4]
> NIL
>  >>

> --------------
>
> Does this back trace help to see what's going wrong?
>
> If I start again and do the same thing using FireFox I get:
>
> $ saved_gcl
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    May  4 2005 16:56:38
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>
>  >(load "test-http2.lsp")

> get GET fn /msys/1.0/ dn /msys/1.0/
> get GET fn /favicon.ico dn /favicon.ico/
>
> --------
>
> And the list directories appears in the browser.
>
> Let me know what I can try next.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Page.

Take care,