[Axiom-developer] axiom porting

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] axiom porting
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:17:08 -0500

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of suggestions.

The browser idea has promise except that I don't see how to handle
the graphics. I also don't see how to "command" a browser
through a socket to do things like open a new tab.

But it does give us the advantage of an already portable front
end. The dynamic content doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
There is an asq command that can compute answers to database queries.
And if Axiom could handle server requests it would be easy to
serve up algebra (might even be a reason to send Bill to China).

I've been clinging to reproducing the prior work as it gives me a
fixed target to achieve. Otherwise it becomes an open-ended design
problem and it will never be finished. Perhaps this is misguided.

I actually have no idea what gtk is despite the fact that my son was
involved in developing it. And I'm not sure what glade is.

I did try to "rewrite the xlib calls to MS equivalents" but the model
for graphics is wildly different. I suppose this is why no one has
taken this path.

I did get the run-process patch you sent but have not yet applied it.
I'm still working on merging the BSD patches which have been hanging-fire
behind the axiom conference work. Hopefully I'll complete that tonight.

Then I need to look at the GUESS domain and see what it will take to
merge that.

THEN I'll look at the G/B (graphics/browser) issue. Since I'm not
actively coding this is a good time to debate the issue.