[Axiom-developer] Re: CVS?

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: CVS?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:04:21 -0500

Mark,

The sequence of updates is
  local disk ->
    arch branch ->
      arch main   ->
        cvs (savannah, sourceforge)

The local disk (mine, yours) has completely broken, partial changes.

The arch server has two types of changes, branch changes and main changes.

The arch branch changes are things like SBCL, BSD, etc which are major
efforts by other developers to improve or change Axiom. When the
branch group decides their version is stable it gets merged into main.

The arch main contains changes which will be released into the cvs servers.
This is supposed to happen on a monthly boundary (Feb, March, April, etc).

Pending major patches which are available now on arch and will be released
in the April version are the 2.6.6 change and the documentation changes.

My current local disk change is the BSD branch merge. This will likely
show up on arch shortly after the April release to the cvs servers.
So in April we'll see the BSD branch merge on arch implying that, if it
works, it will be in the May release.

The monthly release cycle was agreed upon because we need to release
early, release often (thus 6 months is too long) and release quality
(thus immediately is too short). A release is a major piece of work
for me so more than monthly is not practical.

We're going to have a "sprint" day in April at the axiom conference.
After the morning session where we talk about future direction the
plan is to spend the day fixing outstanding issues from issuetracker.
These fixes will be on the arch server in May implying they will be
available in June.

Tim