RE: [Axiom-developer] build failure on Debian Woody Solved -- Str ay sym

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] build failure on Debian Woody Solved -- Str ay symbols in src/algebra/Makefile ! ??
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:33:35 -0500

On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 11:34 PM Balbir Thomas wrote:

> I managed to fix the build failure problem, on Debian/Woody
> described in my earlier post.
>
> The problems seems to have been stray backslashes being placed
> before dollar signs. A few sample lines showing this are given
> below. This seems to happen only in src/algebra/Makefile . Making
> the substitution "s/\\\$/$/g" and restarting the build process
> fixes the problem.

> \${MID}/ABELGRP.spad: \${IN}/catdef.spad.pamphlet
>        \${TANGLE} -R"category ABELGRP AbelianGroup"\ ...
>
> I do not understand why this is happening. Apparently it does
> not happen on newer versions of debian as can be seen from the
> successfull builds on buildd.debian.org.  Please note this is not
> a problem with the debian package as it occurs if I try to compile
> with the upstream source too.

I can confirm that this does not happen on newer version of debian
or RedHat linux.

The example lines that you show above are actually generated by
a simple awk script in the chunks <<findSpadFiles>> and
<<findBootstrapFiles>> in the file src/algebra/Makefile.pamphlet.
It looks like this:

  <<findSpadFiles>>=

  egrep '<<(domain|package|category) .*>>=' *.spad.pamphlet | \
  awk -F: '{
    chunk=substr($2,3,length($2)-5);
    split(chunk,part," ");
    spadfile="\${MID}/"part[2]".spad";
    print spadfile": \${IN}/"$1;
    print "\t\${TANGLE} -R\""chunk"\" \${IN}/"$1">"spadfile;
    print "";
  }'

It seems that some versions of awk do not process the escaped \$ in
the same way as some others. (The gnu awk documentation actually
says that for posix implementations this behaviour is undefined.)
I think that strictly speaking the escape before $ is not needed
and we should probably remove these extra \.